"If sweet death should ever conquer me, let me know, boys, let me know. If you hear him coming, won't you let me flee? Let me go, boys, let me go."

Saturday, February 20, 2010

An Actual Thought For Once

I'm sitting here listening to "Keep the Car Runnin'" by Acade Fire (I love it, czech it out), and I think of Go, the Invisible Children movie, which starts me thinking about how Chase gave away a ton of money to the top organizations in this contest it had. Invisible Children and TWLOHA were basically fighting it out to the finish when Jamie Tworkowski, the writer of TWLOHA, says to stop voting for them and try their hardest to get Invisible Children to win the million dollars. This must have been a really hard thing for Jamie to do because if TWLOHA had won, they were going to use the money to start an instant messaging help line called IMAlive. Like a suicide line, except instant messaging. They were going to train real live people so that suicidal and depressed people all over the country could get help.

They needed $2,000,000 to get this off the ground, but in the end only won $100,000.

Tonight while I was listening to "Keep the Car Runnin'," a thought struck me. There are people out there who have enough money to give TWLOHA more than they need to start IMAlive, but they don't do anything. Why does it take disasters like Haiti to get people to start helping? Both TWLOHA and IC need all the help they can get, yet they're forced to compete with eachother for money that could just be given to them by people with more than enough. It's not only sad, but disgusting.

See ya,
Nova.

No comments:

Post a Comment