"If sweet death should ever conquer me, let me know, boys, let me know. If you hear him coming, won't you let me flee? Let me go, boys, let me go."

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mmmm Whatcha Say...

So I have this friend. She's kinda funny. She wrote this:

You're the sweet red cherry right on top
You're the laughing gas before the shot

You're the finish line at the end of the race
You're the gold medal when I win first place

You're the quiet oasis in the middle of the desert
You're the spongebob bandaid for when I get hurt

You're the ice cold water when I'm dying of thirst
You're the bright blue balloon that will never burst

You're the calm before the inevitable storm
You're the radiant sun that keeps all of me warm

You're the neverending song running through my head
You're the brand of butter that's easy to spread

You're the movie I love to watch over and over
You're harder to find than a 4-leaf clover

You're the spot of color in the midst of all the gray
You're the bold, brave hero that saves the day

Yet all these corny metaphors still aren't enough
Words can't express how much you are loved.

[zOMG gUyZZZ.] I love you too, Lee.

At this point you may be wondering why on earth the title of this post comes from that "Whatcha Say" song. (So I don't know the actual title or artist. Shoot me.) It doesn't. That song sampled from an Imogen Heap song called "Hide and Seek." It's much better. Go listen to that one instead of your pop-rap-hip-hop-junk or whatever you call it. Doesn't matter what it's called, it still sucks.

So I did a little search-with-relient-k-ing and I came upon this: http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats
Read it all. It's horrifying. And yet nobody does a thing.
My favorite facts:
  • Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day.
  • Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.
  • Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn’t happen.
  • Number of children in the world: 2.2 billion
  • Number in poverty: 1 billion (every second child)
  • For the 1.9 billion children from the developing world, there are:
    640 million without adequate shelter (1 in 3)
    400 million with no access to safe water (1 in 5)
    270 million with no access to health services (1 in 7)
  • In 2005, the wealthiest 20% of the world accounted for 76.6% of total private consumption. The poorest fifth just 1.5%

I like how much of the money spent on weapons could be used to put kids in school. Not just some kids, all of them. It's sad. This is one of the reasons I'm so glad we went to the Museum of Tolerance. No one knew about all that's happening, and it never really hit home. Now it has, although I'm pretty sure nothing is going to stay nothing.

So I started writing a review of the concert on Friday. My computer crashed before I had a chance to finish. Hopefully Blogger autosaved. If it did expect said post to be either above this on or below it. I really don't know where it'll end up.

That's all, folks!
Nova.

1 comment:

  1. i'm sorry for saying this but that is awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete