"If sweet death should ever conquer me, let me know, boys, let me know. If you hear him coming, won't you let me flee? Let me go, boys, let me go."

Saturday, October 31, 2009

If You're Not Crying, Why Are You Singing?



During my days as a person, I have continually called upon a man named Jon Foreman for my bits of daily wisdom and musical satisfactions. (Did that make sense?) Anyway, the point is I think Mr. Foreman here is brilliant. Would you like to know how I know this? Watch the video at the top of this post.

Probably my favorite quote from that video is, "If you're not crying, why are you singing it?" More and more I've found this to be true. In fact, I find myself crying when I sing a song more often then not, even if the song isn't sad, and I think this is the measure of good music.

If a song doesn't make you cry, if it doesn't make you want to do something, anything, to change the world or who you are, it's not worth your time.

Believe me, there's plenty of music I listen to that doesn't make me cry, but the stuff that does is going to be around for a long time. This is the truth of the matter; a good song stirs your emotions. A great song makes them overflow.

See ya,
Nova

2 comments:

  1. i dont think i've ever seen you cry, singing a song or not

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea im not a big cryer. and when i am really singing and feeling a song its at my house so yea.

    ReplyDelete